Radical Devotion  

Posted by DonnieSmith

Radical devotion to Christ:
Karen was a Southern Baptist missionary in Iraq and was killed by unknown assailants March 15, 2004. Her story is told in the book Lives Given, Not Taken: 21st Century Southern Baptist Martyrs, by Erich Bridges and Jerry Rankin. In this book I ran across the letter that Karen wrote and left behind in an envelope for her pastors to read. The envelope said "Open in case of death."
(Here is part of that letter)
“You should only be opening this in the event of death. When God calls there are no regrets. I tried to share my heart with you as much as possible, my heart for the nations. I wasn't called to a place; I was called to Him. To obey was my objective, to suffer was expected, His glory my reward. . .
I was called not to comfort or to success but to obedience. . . .
There is no Joy outside of knowing Jesus and serving Him.”

The question I have asked myself and would challenge you to ask yourself is…..
Do you have the heart of a missionary? Use this as a guide—

The missionary heart:
Cares more than some think is wise
Risks more that some think is safe
Dreams more than some think is practical
Expects more than some think is possible.

This is not only a great guide to check your heart, it is also a great prayer to pray over your life. This is what Kristina and I are praying over Kylie and Clayton.

This entry was posted on Sunday, November 2, 2008 at 9:33 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

intense. i love it. the heart of her letter is what every Christian's heart should long for. we are called to give all for the sake of his glory, and we are promised suffering if we follow Christ. his glory is the very reason we live and breath and exist. but it's terribly easy to lose sight of that.

November 4, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Post a Comment