Weird email  

Posted by DonnieSmith

I got a weird email today from a stranger. They said they "love to hear me preach". But they thought my sermon Sunday at Church was out of line. I was confused by the email because although I preached last Sunday, it was not here. So, as confused as I was I still felt the need to respond. Their question was based on something I said Sunday but---I was not here to say it. Anyway, their overall statement to me was "why are you so narrow minded to think Jesus is the only way". Even though I was not here to say that. I am narrow minded I guess, because I wish I had been here to say it. Here was the heart of my response.

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
John 14:6

One of the criticisms leveled against Christians is that this belief is so exclusive. People say, “You telling me that you believe that Muslims and Jews and Hindus and Buddhists can’t be saved? That’s just too narrow and too exclusive for me to believe.” You are not the first person to say to me, “That’s just narrow-minded. It’s arrogant. Only religious bigots believe that Jesus is the only way.”
I say, "You know, you’re argument isn’t really with me. You’re argument is really with Jesus. He’s the One who said, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but by Me.'” Is that narrow? Yes. But don't we want the pilot of a plane we're on to be narrow-minded? We want him to land it right side up. We want him to land it on the runway, not the freeway. It’s true that the claims of Christ are exclusive. But exclusivity is just part of it. Jesus came for everybody. Jew. Gentile. Muslim. Hindu. All the nations.

Jesus is the inclusive/exclusive truth. Think about these “I am” statements. They’re inclusive as well as exclusive.
I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger.
John 6:35
“Whoever” means Jews, too. Jews can come to Him.

I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness.
John 8:12
“Whoever” includes Arabs. Muslims can follow Him.

I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved.
John 10:9
“Anyone” means Buddhists, too. Buddhists can enter by Him.

I am the good shepherd... And I have other sheep that are not of this fold.
John 10:14, 16
“Other sheep” includes all non-Jews. Hindus can become part of His flock.

I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live.
John 11:25
Whoever means atheists and agnostics. They are invited to believe in Him.

I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit.
John 15:5

Yes, this is exclusive truth. But “whoever will” may come. It’s inclusive, too. This is why we set our focus on reaching all people for Christ.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 7:46 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

so...were you there sunday? i think you failed to mention that...

January 22, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Dude...I preached that sermon! You've gotta tell me who sent the email!

January 22, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Cran,
I was not there. However I did travel through Dallas on Monday!!!

January 22, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Good post Donnie, you sure should have been there though.

January 26, 2009 at 12:00 AM

The thing I hate about this argument is that it is arrogant for Christians to say that Jesus is the only way and no one else can be saved with out him, but it is okay for Mulims and Jews and other religions to saw their way is the only way to salvation and they never get called to the carpet on that.

February 9, 2009 at 7:23 AM

Post a Comment