Empty day  

Posted by DonnieSmith


My day was empty….There are two parts to my feeling empty. The first part is that today I stood in front of a group of people that I love. It’s not just that I love them but they love me and my family. The past four years I have loved my church and served the people with their needs in mind. I have emptied myself in so many ways that today….as I stood before my church to tell them that I was going to serve God in another location, I literally felt empty. I know God has been preparing me for the next season of life for a long time. He has been preparing my heart and I guess in some ways purging my heart as well. Anyway, I got up this morning and in my prayer time I was overwhelmed with the thought that my time at Forest Hill is over. I had not really dealt with this part of the transition yet. I had not really let the reality of my time here coming to an end set in. I started my day with this question. “What does it mean to have something come to an end?” Well, for me-- I only have one clear reference point to this question right now. My current and perhaps very unhealthy reference point to something “coming to an end” is losing my mom. After a full life with her, all I have right now are memories. They are good memories but when I sit still and let them run through my mind they still hurt. So, when I think of something coming to an end ---it means that all I have left are memories. No matter how good the memories might be I feel empty when I think about the last four years of my life being summed up as a memory. The second part to my day being empty is the guilt I feel for my excitement for what God has in store. I feel somewhat guilty at how ready I am to be in Austin. I look out and see tears from people I am leaving and at one point I asked myself “what is wrong with you?” I should not feel the deep joy I feel…should I??? I mean it bothers me to know that my new church family met today and I was not among them. My day was empty because I was not at my church, I was not home. I am looking forward to my new coffee pot/popsicle meetings. I am ready to pray with, worship with, lead with, reach people with, grow with and dream with my new church. Although my day was empty----The Long Horn’s logo I got as an email today made me smile!

This entry was posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Donnie...I need your e-mail address so that I can send you a real Texas icon...The Horn Frog. Texas Christian University. You have to keep the Christian in Texas :)

Good luck with your moving preparation.

dfoster@danielfosterdesign.com

January 27, 2009 at 10:33 AM

welcome back home.. the first of may is Our Church anual Ranch Rodeo. Donnie you are welcome to come it's the first week in may, do you need my help moving in, i am here for you my brother, i am excited that you will be closer.. i don't know how scared you are of that.. ha ha, but i am excited. i might get to play golf with you once a year..
ha ha..

January 31, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Post a Comment