3 things I noticed  

Posted by DonnieSmith

Great Super Bowl this year. I enjoy the hype of all the big games, I enjoy the media coverage. I am still up watching highlights of a game that I just watched. Like I said, I like the media coverage. Three things I noticed this year about the big games. The BCS championship and the Super Bowl. 1.) My teams lost in both! 2.) I can't let my kids watch the commercials. Kind of crazy but... here was my favorite from the Super Bowl... Please watch it twice...I laugh harder every time I watch it.

3.) The faith of some key players captured headlines. Some sportswriters struggle with the faith-based language that many players deploy during these kinds of events. However, Rick Maese of the Baltimore Sun offered an interesting column the other day in which he working his way through his feelings about this issue, and Kurt Warner in particular.... concluded that he has seen worse things happen in sports. Read it all, but here’s a crucial passage:

----- You’ll have to forgive sportswriters a tad. Most have seen too many athletes espouse their spiritual side yet indulge their criminal. When an athlete mentions God, eyes roll and tape recorders shut off. When thanking Jesus is considered cliche, you know we have problems.

I was engrossed, though. I’m not sure whether it was the message or the messenger, but as I age and as the world around me becomes increasingly unreliable and unpredictable, it’s refreshing to see someone who has every reason to get caught up in a peripheral storm of money, ego, celebrity and excess remain so grounded.

“My faith helps me with everything,” Warner says. “The biggest thing about my faith is it helps keep everything in perspective. You understand the highs and lows. You understand what’s going on sometimes with the highs and lows when other people don’t see them.”

I’m no trend spotter, and there’s no way to quantify this, but from David Tyree to Tony Dungy to Tim Tebow, it seems as if faith has been enjoying an increasingly prominent role in football in America. If it really helps control temperament, I dare say God might be the best performance enhancer you can use legally.-------

The article was great and I hope these guys hold on to the testimonies they are building!

This entry was posted on Sunday, February 1, 2009 at 7:21 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Donnie, I like the post. I hope Texas is treating you and your family well. I also hope the wallpaper you got serves you nicely. I think it's a cool one, but it can have a few bugs in it at times. Not like viruses, just quirky stuff like not showing the date, etc.

My heart has been enriched by your blog and by the life you seem to be leading. I remember when, ages ago it seems, I went into your office at FBC O'fallon and shared my darkest secret with you. This was one of the biggest steps in my path to freedom in that area. Thank you for being that person. It turns out it was more than a "fill-in-the-word obsession", however, the specifics were not what was most important. It was about bringing what was being hid in the darkness into the light that it might be healed. It was God's providence that I went to The Den that I could talk to you to begin that restoration process. I am forever grateful.

God bless sir.
Nic Tew

February 1, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Post a Comment