Jack is back  

Posted by DonnieSmith

I always look forward to the start of fall….I love the change in the weather and of course football starts. This year my anticipation for fall has been high. In part because God is at work and I can not lie---Kristina and I have been waiting over a year for 24 to start back up. We are huge Jack fans. I like Jack because he seems to always do the right thing. As a pastor I wish more people did the right things. Before I get into what I am thinking about tonight—here is a sample of what is coming this fall.



Although 24 can be predictable at times---I love it. It might seem weird but I have learned some great lessons from Jack Bauer. Every season in one way or another Jack has a key player in his life turn on him. His responses to these betrayals make for a great story line. Beyond a good story line it is also a good reminder--- that at some point people will let you down. Think about what you have seen and walked through in your life. At some point you have seen children turn on their parents, who loved them and did an above average job raising them. Pastors turn on their congregations, committing unthinkable acts of immorality and deceit. Husbands turn on faithful wives of 20 years because the girl at the office made him feel young, funny, and relatively attractive. I have seen a lot of people let other people down and of course I have been personally wounded at times as well. I am not an expert and can not speak exhaustively on how to respond when you are let down but I can suggest a couple of things not to do when you are let down.
--Don’t punish the loyal people in your life by becoming a stone cold, arm’s length, “I’ll never let anyone hurt me like that again, the world is out to get me” person. That’s not fair. Paranoia is not a road to recovery. It’s a sure fire recipe for eventual collapse.
--Don’t miss the blessing in betrayal. Because of betrayal, Joseph saved a nation. Because of betrayal, Jesus saved the world. If you walk in integrity and process your pain Biblically, your biggest betrayal could be the delivery system for your greatest blessing.
When that day comes that you are betrayed or someone let’s you down, do the right thing. Jack always bounces back. In fact, he bounces back this fall.
Isaiah 54:17
“No weapon formed against you shall prosper, and every tongue which rises against you in judgment you shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is from Me,” says the Lord.

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 at 9:08 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

i'm with you. i've been jonesin' for Jack.

October 21, 2008 at 7:07 AM

Post a Comment