The valley  

Posted by DonnieSmith

Yesterday my dad called and my sister’s time on earth is coming to an end. I am at a loss for words and my emotional swings have not been healthy. My sister loves to talk, laugh and has the worst eating habits of any human alive. Over the past few months I have replayed our childhood several times over in my mind. We had a great life growing up. She has been an awesome big sister. I watch Kylie and Clayton and see the two of us growing up in them all over again. We played and fought like champions. My mom once told me that my sister was her favorite---(I don’t think she was kidding). My mom went to be with the Lord almost two years ago and while I have learned to bury the emotions of her not being here, it still hurts and I miss her so much. I am positive that my mom could not handle this. My sister has lived in the valley for a long time. Although she has lived in the valley she could always laugh. While my sister was in the valley I have been on the mountain top. This has been one of the best years of my life. I have a joy that is deep in my bones. But from my mountain top view I am experiencing a heart break. I hurt and I can literally feel another part of me is dying.

I read John 11 tonight over and over, the story about Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead. I am not asking for a miracle; I will take one but truthfully I just needed a reminder that Jesus has power over all things including death. As I read through John 11, what I walked away with was that death is unavoidable even for the most faithful follower of Jesus. Think about it-- After Jesus raised Lazarus at this time in John 11, it’s pretty safe to say that likely a few years later Lazarus died again. So, this miracle - this gift - from Jesus to Lazarus didn't shield Lazarus from further death. We live in a fallen world. Jesus actually tells us that pain and death are coming.
We see in Psalm 23:4 "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for You are with me"
Notice that the verse doesn't say “if” I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, but “even though.” We have to go through the valley. We don’t go around it. We don’t go over it. We don’t go beside it. We go through it.

So, tonight I start my walk down the mountain side into the valley. I will walk through the valley over the next few weeks. As I walk down the mountain side and through the valley I will soon start the climb back to the top. My entire journey I am committed to celebrating my King. I will mourn but my eyes are fixed on Jesus. He is my reward! I will continue to praise Him ---He is the only One who could rightly say, "I am the resurrection and the life." Pray for my family

This entry was posted on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 at 11:55 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Donnie, we are so incredibly sorry for your family. We will definitely be praying for your family. Love & Hugs to you all. We will be back in town sometime this weekend. We have been in Atlanta for the past 3 weeks!

December 30, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Wow, thanks for the example in this tough time. praying for you, your sister and your family. Seems so difficult to stay focused on the one thing we need to focus on during times in the valley...

January 1, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Donnie, you and your family are definitely in our prayers. We miss you, but are always encouraged by your blog.
Trent & Heather Lindenman

January 4, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Post a Comment